Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Running Essentials 101

So I went out for a run this morning in the sunny cold February weather & I thought it would be a good idea to share with you some running gear that is a must have during the winter. As some of you may already know, last year I ran the Ogden marathon and since it was in May, I had to train during the winter months.
At first I was a little intimidated to run outside because #1 I HATE being cold and #2 I had no clue what attire I should invest in.

So here it is my get up - from head to toe
{Two of the most important things you should wear while running out in the cold is a headwrap & gloves. If there is one thing I can tell you, it is that when you're running out in the cold your body will warm up after a few minutes, but your fingers & ears will stay cold! So don't forget these two very important accessories.}


{if it's not terribly cold, you can get away with just wearing a long sleeved wicking (dri fit) shirt. If it's really cold add a long sleeved running jacket}
{Running tights are my most favorite thing. I would recommend getting a capri pair as shown here, and also a full leg pair if you plan to do some serious training outdoors during the winter. I have both & I will admit my capri pair gets the most use but on those really cold mornings, you'll want those full leg ones. I love running tights because they conform to fit your body and they don't ride or chaff at all. I even wear them to the gym!}
{a great pair of wicking running socks will keep your feet dry & will help you stay warm, they are also beneficial in keeping your running shoes from wearing out faster}
{Invest in a good pair of running shoes. These are actually the exact ones I ran my marathon in & I love them. BUT you may not love these ones because everybody's feet are different. So I would recommend going to a place like Wasatch Running and getting your feet analyzed. They will tell you which type of shoe would work best for your feet & then they will help you try on a bunch and test them out. Great running shoes may not be pretty, but you will be worshipping these bad boys when you hit those higher miles.}
{Something you may not have known about running shoes - it is best to buy a new pair every 350 miles. Depending on your running style, weight, etc you may be able to get a little more use out of them. Over time the shoe will lose stability and shock absorption capabilities which can promote injury, so it is super important not to run on worn out shoes!}

1 comment:

  1. Great post! When I first started running in the cold weather last fall I hated it because I was freezing. I bought some warmer clothes, including gloves and a running beanie and it makes a HUGE difference! They're comfortable to run in and I actually enjoy running in the crisp winter air. Men, get over yourself and buy some running tights, they're great. Just wear shorts over the top. ;)

    ReplyDelete